What we’ve been doing now that we’re back.
One of the questions we’ve been getting asked now that the kayaking expedition is over and over is “what are you guys doing now?”
Well, this can be broken down into 3 parts: 1. What we’re doing as far as the Expedition Mississippi Project, and 2. What else we’re doing with our lives 3. After the film is finished, what’s our next crazy adventure?
1. What we’ve been doing for the Expedition Mississippi Project: Although the kayaking portion of this project is over, there’s still plenty to do for the project!
- We still need to send out the Kickstarter rewards. The bracelets still need to be made. Now that I’m (Jordan) back in Chicago, and Matt is in Indiana, we’re waiting til Matt comes to visit in about one week. We’ll get as many bracelets made then as possible. Whatever we don’t finish then, we’ll get done later in August when I see him in Bloomington.
- The same goes for our upper-level backers. We’ll be sending them some exclusive, signed gear/memorabilia hopefully around the same time.
- Then there’s the kayaking film. We have PLENTY of raw footage, some of which we uploaded to give you a sneak peek! We hope to upload a bit more in the near future… stay tuned for that. I haven’t been able to actually start editing it into a “movie” yet, because we want to use the high-end software bundle, Final Cut Pro. This costs several hundred dollars to purchase – fortunately, a friend of mine in Germany can give me the software. I’ll be flying back to Germany at the end of this month, so I hope to be able to start the editing process after that.. Take a look at the “illustrious start” we had to our kayaking expedition below.
2. What we’re doing now besides Expedition Mississippi
- I’ve had about 2 months to get my work-life in order before I fly back to Germany in late August. The last time I was in Germany, about 70% of my work consisted of communication training, and 30% was social media related. Now that I’d like to focus on social media as a career, I want to expand my client base. This isn’t the easiest thing in the world, because I’m primarily looking for U.S. based accounts to manage while living abroad. Although it’s been challenging, I’ve put in plenty of work building “my brand”, networking, and I already have a few new clients as result. Two of them are games (Serpent’s Tongue and Zpocalypse) – I’m soooo pumped!
- I’ve also been extra busy seeing every single friend, acquaintance, and family I have in the Chicago area before I leave the country. What can I say…I’m popular!
- Matt’s been working just as hard, figuring out what to do next. He’s set on becoming a high school teacher, but that’s more of a long term goal. Since he just graduated from college a year ago, he still has plenty of options right now. He originally wanted to spend 1 or 2 years teaching English in Spain. That way, he could get international teaching experience AND practice his Spanish. Sadly, he changed his mind due to the unstable economic situation there. Then a couple weeks ago, he did a little research online and discovered that South Korea offers a sweet deal to native English speaking teachers. He’ll be getting a great salary, plus his flight and room + board are all covered!! Truly an amazing deal.
3. Our next crazy adventure
That’s right…Matt and I had PLENTY of time on the river to brainstorm ideas for our next great adventure. (I mean really, what else do you have to talk about with the same person you see every day, all day, for an entire month?!) We won’t begin seriously planning it until all the work is done for Expedition Mississppi — especially the film. We’re not quite ready to unveil it yet, but we were thinking of doing something a bit different this time.
It would be like backpacking, but with a very unique twist….I think that’s all we can say about it for now. Although our kayaking expedition was amazing and out of the ordinary, it wasn’t something that had never been done before. Our next one will be TOTALLY NEW — the first of it’s kind! We’re super super pumped for it. Well, I better stop writing before I give it away :) …but stay tuned.
If you were one of the few that missed out on Kickstarter, you can still preorder our kayaking film here.